1. You should have a way for people to sign up for your mailing list. It should be on all of your blogs, websites, social media sites and the works. You can’t gain contacts without it.
2. Simply write down names of people that you have done business with before, either personal or through work. They could be friends, family, colleagues or clients. Also, you could look at past acquaintances such as classmates, neighbors, former bosses or vendors.
3. Ask for referrals through friends, speaking engagements, book signings, or simply word of mouth.
4. Attend writing conferences, book fairs, book festivals and pass out your business cards.
5. Different businesses and schools have contact list that are readily available to the public. It depends on whom you wish to add to your contact list.
6. Ask for feedback and make sure to add a place for them to write down their contact information.
7. Offer people something in return for joining your mailing list. Some people offer giveaways, others offer free advice through videos.
8. Some businesses use mailing list brokers. They normally charge a big fee though.
Now that you have a contact list, you need to be able to organize the list where you can make sense out of it. Use some type of filing system to categorize your list. I hope this helps you in creating a contact list to aid you in your email marketing platform.
Other resources on contact list: http://www.constantcontact.com/learning-center/list-building/index.jsp